Only latest data for a given X-value shown in series?

I have measurement data containing expected and measured values, whereby the expected values can occur more than once: the measurement process calls for the expected values to be increased and then decreased, then possibly increased again…
When I display the measured values as a Y-axis series in a line/symbol multi-series graph against the expected values on the X-axis, it appears that only the latest measured value is shown for a given expected value.

Is there any way to force all the measured values to be displayed?

I would have liked to have all the values on one graph, but if there is no way of doing this then I will have to generate two or three separate graphs.­

Hello David,

thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce the behavior you described under List & Label 23 with a minimized .NET project.

Would it therefore be possible for you to open a support case via the support portal (My acccount: Login, user registration, product registration) and send us the important information from this thread, as well as a log file of the behavior, so that we can perform a more detailed analysis of the issue?

Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Best regards,

Patrick Preuschoff
Technical Support
combit GmbH

Hello Patrick,

thank you for your reply.

Maybe the problem is in the XmlDataProvider - sorry I wasn’t more specific.
I don’t have the legal right to authorize payment for a formal support case.
I wanted to attach minimal example XML and LST files which show the problem clearly, but the forum didn’t allow me to attach them.

The XML is quite simple, however:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <Points> <Point X="1" Y="2"/> <Point X="2" Y="4"/> <Point X="3" Y="6"/> <Point X="3" Y="10"/> <Point X="2" Y="5"/> <Point X="1" Y="0"/> </Points>
The Y values 2, 4 and 6 don’t appear when the data are displayed as a series on a multi-series graph.

Best regards,
David Mackenzie
SINUS Messtechnik GmbH

P.S.
In a table, all the points are displayed, so the problem is unlikely to be in the XmlDataProvider.

Will uploading of attachments be allowed after the move to Discourse?
The example project with only table and graph is very simple but the LST file is 65kb, which I would not try to include inline in a post.

Hi David,

for security reasons we’ll likely restrict the allowed extensions even in Discourse. If we allowed a generic ZIP (which would actually be my favorite), anyone could (accidentally!) upload an infected file.

A default Discourse installation just allows JPG, PNG and GIF attachments. See Default File Upload Types - feature - Discourse Meta for a discussion on the topic.

We’ll likely add LST, CRD and LBL, as well as EMF, XML to the mix. If you see any other necessities I’d be happy to hear and add them. Feel free to move this discussion to the announcement thread then.

Jochen

Hi Jochen,

that sounds sensible, thank you, and would certainly be enough in my case.

Our company also has quite a restrictive policy on email attachments for example. If we do need to send or receive files with “risky” file extensions, we use password-protected ZIP files so that they can only be opened deliberately.

David

Hi David,

That’s just what we do as well here (and it’s also a great way to circumvent any deep scanning for exe, dll etc. files in a ZIP). However, for a public forum it would be hard to implement (what’s the password, who’s adding it to the ZIP,…).

I’ll closely monitor the forums (as I do right now as well) to see what’s needed. Thanks very much for raising this question :)!

Jochen

I’m still trying to find a workaround for the original problem in order to get all the data on the same graph. At the moment I have a separate graph for each up/down running segment of X values, with the XML data as follows:

<Test>
  <Points>
    <Point X="1" Y="2"/>
    <Point X="2" Y="4"/>
    <Point X="3" Y="7"/>
    <Point X="4" Y="6"/>
  </Points>
  <Points>
    <Point X="4" Y="10"/>
    <Point X="2" Y="5"/>
    <Point X="1" Y="0"/>
  </Points>
</Test>

However, this isn’t acceptable to the end-users. I had hoped to be able to predefine several series named “1”, “2” etc. and use the following data structure instead:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Test>
  <Points>
    <Point X="1" Y="2" Series="1"/>
    <Point X="2" Y="4" Series="1"/>
    <Point X="3" Y="7" Series="1"/>
    <Point X="4" Y="6" Series="1"/>
    <Point X="4" Y="10" Series="2"/>
    <Point X="2" Y="5" Series="2"/>
    <Point X="1" Y="0" Series="2"/>
  </Points>
</Test>

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way in List & Label to filter out specific values in a series, such as is possible with the “Filter” property of the category axis. Although using a condition such as If(Point.Series=1, Point.Y, Null()) as coordinate value in the series definition does suppress the values in Series 2, the corresponding values from Series 1 (i.e. except for X=3, Y=7) still do not appear.

I have also briefly considered generating a separate table for each series (, etc.), but the project would then fail to load if less tables were generated (the number of up/down running segments will not be very large, but is not fixed).

Does anyone have any other ideas how I might be able to get all the data on a single graph?

P.S.
Generating a separate table for each series (, etc.) doesn’t work because the chart requires a single data source - understandable because the X values have to come from somewhere.
Otherwise I would have been prepared to generate dummy tables for the series which weren’t used, containing values outside the chart limits.

P.P.S.
The following is the only workaround I have been able to find:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Test>
  <Points>
    <Point X="-999" Y1="-999" Y2="-999" Y3="-999"/>
    <Point X="1" Y1="2" Y2="0"/>
    <Point X="2" Y1="4" Y2="5"/>
    <Point X="3" Y1="7"/>
    <Point X="4" Y1="6" Y2="10"/>
  </Points>
</Test>

The first is necessary in order to avoid load errors due to missing Y3 in Series 3.
It can be excluded from the example graph with a Category Axis Filter: Point.X != -999.
I’ll rewrite my real data generation to consolidate the Y values in this way.
Not pretty, but I’m confident that it will now work.

Just for completeness, here is a .LST file for reproducing the original problem:

_LL_YY_Test2.lst (56.0 KB)

with input XML as follows (the Y values 2, 4 and 6 are not shown):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Points>
  <Point X="1" Y="2"/>
  <Point X="2" Y="4"/>
  <Point X="3" Y="6"/>
  <Point X="4" Y="8"/>
  <Point X="3" Y="10"/>
  <Point X="2" Y="5"/>
  <Point X="1" Y="0"/>
</Points>
1 Like

I’ll make sure we check this one out as well to see if there is some other solution.

Thanks Jochen.
It would be nice if it would work that simply, but splitting the data into several series is now implemented and has the advantage that I can format each range of values differently, so I’m happy enough with that.
The new forum software makes a good impression.

1 Like

Good to hear it’s working now for you. Make sure to return to this topic if there’s anything else we can do :slight_smile: . Glad you like the forum!