Support Windows 10 on ARM64

Please add support for ARM64-Architecture!

Well I got a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB and guess what, with the incredible efforts of the WOR-Project (Windows On Raspberry) I got a build of Windows 10 on ARM64 running. It only took a few clicks, some time for downloads, creation of the needed ESD-files and not too much time to install on a fast MicroSD card.

I was able to run LL25 (x86). I got a report on the preview, but when I tried to call the designer my program crashed.

So if you could try yourself and support this combination it would be great. Especially because in the foreseeable future there will be new Notebooks with Windows on ARM64 coming…

Even better would be, if you could create a native LL version for ARM64! I only need the C# Interface :slight_smile:.

https://worproject.ml/

We’ll evaluate this path. Emulators often don’t support the full API of the OS. I’d suspect a similar effect here and will see if we can workaround this.

A native ARM64 support is currently out of scope, unfortunately. Some modules are built with compilers that don’t support this target.

We’ll evaluate this path. Emulators often don’t support the full API of the OS. I’d suspect a similar effect here and will see if we can workaround this.

Are there any workarounds/ways to make LL run stable on ARM64, or even new plans to support ARM64 natively?

Unfortunately, there are no new plans for this. The emulator project doesn’t seem to be updated very frequently and native ARM64 support is still out of scope for us.

I have to bring up this topic again and I think you will not be able to avoid it in 2023 or for LL29 :-).

Microsoft just released Windows Dev Kit 2023 (Projekt Volterra). I already got my DevBox and running some tests. Most of the software runs without problems. The new x86/x64 emulator seems to make a pretty good job. With native ARM64 applications performance is really good.

In the next few months Microsoft will also release VS 2022 17.4 with ARM64 support, previews are already available, What's New in Visual Studio 2022 17.4 Preview 1 - Visual Studio Blog.

And by the way, Azure also offers now ARM64 VMs: Overview of the Dpsv5 and Dpdsv5-series sizes - Azure Virtual Machines | Microsoft Learn.

So no excuses anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not trying to find any excuses :slight_smile: - thanks for following up.

Native ARM64 support will be close to impossible due to the nature of diverse 3rd party libraries we’re using that heavily rely on the processor architecture (e.g. advanced floating point arithmetics). Also, there are other libraries where the vendors would need to support ARM64 natively (e.g. our PDF and SVG export). For some of the features (e.g. SVG rendering, 2D Barcodes) we’d also require a Delphi ARM64 compiler.

However we’ll at least make sure that LL is running just fine in an emulated process. That’s not my favorite solution - but it seems to be a viable direction.

Making progress on this :+1:

2 Likes

We applied a number of changes to the product and are still in the process of adapting the installer. As outlined, native support is still out of scope but we’ll make sure you have a smooth experience when using LL in VS 2022 on ARM. The emulator actually does a decent job and there were only minor adaptions neccessary in order to get things up and running. We’ll release these changes as part of service pack 28.001.

Has been released as planned.