Cannot save report as Excel file from print preview

Greetings!

My application is developed with Xbase++ and List & Label 16.

If I print a report to the screen using the print preview option, I cannot save the report as an Excel file. When I click the “Save” icon on the print preview window the “Save as type” drop-down list gives several options (LL, PDF, TIFF, TXT, JPG, etc.) but Excel is not listed, even though I have Excel installed on my computer.

If I open the report in the designer and select “Project” from the main menu and then click “Page Setup”, I can click the “Export Media” tab and see “Microsoft Excel Format” listed as an option. If I highlight “Microsoft Excel Format”, a green check mark shows in the upper-right corner of the window to show that it is enabled.

Is there some special setting that has to be enabled before the print preview will allow the report to be saved in Excel format? What should I do to get this working?

Any help anyone can give will be appreciated. Thanks!

Look into the “redistributables” section of the manual - most likely, cmll??xl.dll is missing in your installation.

Paulchen

I checked my distributed files, and cmll16xl.dll is present. The time stamp on the file is 07/14/2011 10:42am.

I created a test preview file and opened it with Llview16.exe outside of my application. When I click the “Save” icon and view the “Save as type” drop-down list, Excel is missing from the list.

Evidently this is some sort of issue with the viewer program. It would be helpful if someone else could confirm this. Could someone please open a preview file with the viewer application (Llview??.exe) and try to save the file as an Excel spreadsheet? Please let me know the results.

Are there any settings in the viewer application that would enable the “save as Excel” option? I didn’t see any.

Oh, the “viewer” programm cannot export to such export media (i.e. HTML, RTF, XLS).

Paulchen

Hello,
I’m resurrecting this old thread, because I have the same problem but with newer version.

If I call LlPrintWithBoxStart(…, LL_PRINT_PREVIEW, …), there is no dropdown in “Export” button and therefor I cannot export to Excel.

However, if I run the L&L sample application and run some list project there, there is a dropdown in “Export” button in preview window and I could choose Excel as export format.

Should I call some specific functions to enable exports?

I’m using L&L 22.

Because of LL_PRINT_PREVIEW the export formats are restricted to preview and presentation. A detailled solution you’ll in the List & Label knowledge base. Please have a look at the link beneath

Export From Preview Is Not Possible

Thanks for the reply,
I’ve tried this option (earlier) and it doesn’t work either.

Does the application support DrillDown? It is a requirement to be able to export from the preview. In this case a debwin log file can provide further information.

Thanks for the reply,
yes that will be the culprit! We don’t support drilldowns.

Thank You.